The Life of Omar Ibn Said: A Muslim American slave[audio:http://insideislam.wisc.edu/audio/hoe111107k.mp3]
- Ala Alryyes is an associate professor of comparative literature and English at Yale University and author of A Muslim American Slave: The Arabic ‘Life’ of Omar Ibn Said. In his work, Alryyes examines Omar Ibn Said‘s autobiography, which he believes to be the only existing Arabic autobiography written by a slave in the United States. During the show, Alryyes will talk about Omar’s narrative, the story of how it came to be, and how it compares to other slave narratives.
- Omar Ibn Said: A Muslim American Slave
- Islam’s Position on Human Trafficking
- Islam in Brazil
- Muslims and Jews in America: The Most American of All?
How to Listen and Participate
- Leave a post below and the Inside Islam radio show will consider airing your comments and question during the broadcast!
- Listen live on radio stations in Wisconsin Public Radio broadcast areas. The show will be broadcast live at 3 p.m. and re-broadcast at 9 p.m. CT.
- Listen to a live webstream of the show on the Ideas Network.
- Call 1-877-GLOBE-07 to leave a voice mail for this show anytime.
- Leave a comment on this page, or send us an email with your thoughts.