“I Speak For Myself” Radio Show

This Thursday, May 5th, Jean will be speaking with contributors to the new book I Speak for Myself: American Women on Being Muslim. The edition comprises the personal narratives of 40 women under the age of 40 from diverse backgrounds: blogger, academic, advocate, activist, artist, journalist, teacher, student, engineer, coach, government representative. They all, however, share three  things: they are American, Muslim, and women.

The book provides a forum where Muslim American women can tell their own stories, rather than have someone speak for them. All their stories explore the  struggle of negotiating between the different aspects of their identities. Anyone who reads the essays in the book can relate to these women on some level.

How to Listen and Participate
■Leave a comment below and the radio show might air your comments and question during the broadcast.
■Listen live on radio stations in Wisconsin Public Radio broadcast areas. The show will be broadcast live at 3 p.m. and re-broadcast at 9 p.m. CT.
■Listen to a live webstream of the show on the Ideas Network.
■Call 1-877-GLOBE-07 to leave a voice mail for this show anytime.

2 thoughts on ““I Speak For Myself” Radio Show

1. Do you offer an mp3 of the speech somewhere online? I would really be interested in this speech but as you see I am far to late so I thought I just ask about an mp3. Maybe you are willing to share this mp3 with me. Looking forward to your answer.