The Camel Method: Converting Muslims to Christianity

Building bridges between different faith communities can be a challenge, especially if the end goal is conversion. Part of true interfaith dialogue is an acknowledgment that the real goal is finding common spaces and that conversion is unlikely. When the focus is on winning adherents to a faith, it ceases to be a bridge-building exercise and becomes missionary work. This is the case with the Camel Method, developed by Kevin Greeson to bring Muslims to Christianity by using the Qur’an.

Camel is an acronym for Chosen Angels Miracles Eternal Life. This method aims to win Muslim converts to Christianity by beginning with passages about Jesus in the Qur’an. For example, a missionary using this method would make reference to the 19th chapter, Surah Maryam, which tells the story of the birth of Jesus, Isa in the Qur’an,  and ask if any other prophet had such a miraculous birth.

The Muslim would respond that in fact Jesus is the only one. Then a reference to Jesus’s miracles  is made from the 3rd chapter in the Qur’an, Surah Al Imran, verse 49:

And make him a messenger to the children of Israel: That I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, that I determine for you out of dust like the form of a bird, then I breathe into it and it becomes a bird with Allah’s permission and I heal the blind and the leprous, and bring the dead to life with Allah’s permission and I inform you of what you should eat and what you should store in your houses; most surely there is a sign in this for you, if you are believers.

The question that follows is whether any other prophet in the Qur’an was given such miraculous abilities, especially raising the dead and of course the answer is no. This line of questioning, according to the method, is supposed to lead the Muslim to the Bible and its view of Jesus.

Many Christians are critical of this method because of its use of the Qur’an, which they argue gives the text credence. They also assert that it is unfaithful to the Christian message because some of its missionaries will use “Allah” to refer to God and that it will confuse the differences between the two faiths. Finally, critics say that it is deceitful.

When I read about this story, I was simultaneously disturbed and fascinated. I was disturbed not only by the offensive name of the method, but importantly by the fact that the method assumes that Muslims do not have a clear understanding of Jesus and his role in Islam, when in fact  it is the missionaries who do not.  Muslims know and believe in Jesus’s miraculous birth and his abilities to perform miracles, but it is highlighted that the true source of power is God. Moreover, in the Qur’an, a prophet is clearly defined as a human being; thus, even if someone reminded a Muslim that Jesus raised the dead, Islam’s response is that it is God who gave him that ability as he gave other prophets miracles.

I agree with critics that the method is deceitful, although not in the same way, because at the outset it says it is trying to build bridges when in reality it presumes that Muslims are easily manipulated and that the Qur’an, unlike the Bible, can be easily deconstructed. There is no respect for the Qur’an and its place for Muslims or Islam.

While I was disturbed, I was also fascinated by the lengths people will go to win adherents to a faith, no matter what faith it is, instead of focusing on interfaith dialogue and accepting our differences. With the world in the state that it is, the focus should be on respecting each others beliefs.

Have you heard of the Camel Method? What is your reaction? Do you think  a method that seeks to convert can build bridges? Please share your thoughts below.

15 thoughts on “The Camel Method: Converting Muslims to Christianity

1. Jesus said in John 14:6, “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me” (King James Version).

Through Christ’s death, burial and resurrection, God has built a bridge to do what none of us can do on our own – reconcile us to God – bringing eternal life and a new life in Christ here on earth.

“For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit” (I Peter 3:18 King James Version).

So – how does this relate to the “Camel Method”?

If the Bible is true, and I believe it is, then it is the ultimate “bridge” to present others with the truth that will lead to their eternal salvation (yes – conversion!) and bring them into fellowship with God. Every other bridge is just man’s attempt to fix what we have tried for centuries to fix, but can not do on our own!

However, in order for one to be converted to Christianity, the Father must draw them, and they must hear the gospel:

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” (Romans 10:17 King James Version).

So – somewhere in the “Camel Method” they would need to present the gospel for one to be converted.

As Christians we are called to love others – this would include Muslims. True Chrisitan love will surely build a bridge between people of different faiths. We are called to share our faith – but God will not force Himself on anyone. We need to respect and continue to love those who choose to practice another faith and reject Jesus Christ as Lord. Sadly not all believers practice this love, but if someone in LOVE presents the “Camel Method”, yes, I believe it could build a bridge.

2. I amazes me that many those who condemn the Camel Method, including the author of this article, have not read or taken time to study the ‘ Camel’. As so often happens we in the Western evangelical world believe only we are qualified to protect sound doctrine. In Africa, we call this attitude that of the colonialist missionary.

Also as I read many of the criticizms, including Erun Caner’s rants, It seems there is a “not invented here” syndrome at work. I urge those who would question this or any different approach to identify their presuppositions and do their best to truly investigate the facts and talk first hand with missionaries in Muslim countries who are seeing fruit that will last on a large scale.

It is well know that throughout the Muslim world, literally thousands of Muslims are being visited by Jesus in dreams and are ultimately, through hearing the true gospel from a Christian, receiving Christ as their Lord and Savior and are willing to suffer the consequences.

I have met several of these men and women personally and can assure you they are genuine Christians. Anyone who claims we should not be building bridges to the Bible and the gospel is to at least to some degree an arogant fool.

3. Quote:

“While I was disturbed, I was also fascinated by the lengths people will go to win adherents to a faith, no matter what faith it is, instead of focusing on interfaith dialogue and accepting our differences.”

I find that a rather misleading comment when you consider that BOTH Islam and Christianity are “missionary religions”. Muslims consider dawah a moral duty. Saudi Arabia is fuelling Islamic expansion across the globe. Their ‘students’ come to my country – Britain – and whatever visa platform they have, their basic goal is to win converts to Islam. I do not object to their desire to spread their faith.

I just wish that Islamic countries afforded the same generosity to Christians. Instead, in many numerically large Muslim countries, any Muslim who changes their religion faces severe penalties – even death. In such an intellectual climate, how can there ever be any real sense of dialogue??

Also, on the topic of the alleged dishonesty in the Camel approach, how do you think Christians feel when Muslim apologists repeatedly claim that Jesus’ promise of a ‘helper’ (John 14:16-17) actually means Muhammed???? ble”…And where differences between the Qur’an and Bible accounts emerge, Muslims (without presenting any evidence) merely claim that “Christians changed the Bible. This does not mean that Christians should be similarly dishonest, but it does put the debate into a wider historical context.

We have been tolerating such ‘dishonesty’ for centuries, often in situations where there is no effective freedom of speech to correct these irritating misreadings and misrepresentations.

So if you want that genuine dialog happens, start to reform the mindset of the Islamic power brokers in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Iran etc etc etc.

Just my thoughts.

Salam

Nick

4. Hi all

Nick, i read your comment with a lot of interest and i think somewhere you got a point.
    Religions should use deceptions and lies to win converts.
    Also in most christian countries in africa muslilms are forced to learn the bible. I learnt the bible because i was forced to,it was a compulsory subject but i took as a knowledge and a mean of understanding others.
    On your last note muslims countries are open to christianity than some european countries are toward islam. the ban of mosks and veils among other things constitute a proof to that. Some countries in west africa only have 5 percent of christians but 30 to 40 percent of public servants. france has ten percent of muslims but not even one muslim minister and the same goes for the majority of Europe except maybe for the Uk which is a more open and an undertanding society. No mean to offend but the camel method is based on lies and misintepretation of the Holy Quran.

5. We are having this Ministering to Muslim class and it gives me a larger perspective on how to deal with interact and relate with these people. I had a fear before, but knowing and understanding their own perspective in bringing them to Christianity, makes me courageous to share the Gospel. By God’s grace and through the help of the Holy Spirit, yes, God will use me for His kingdom! Maybe a lot of strategy to use to bridge but still all glory to God!…

6. Today, I hung out at the park where many Muslims jog and hang out. I sat down for a while thinking how to start a conversation with a Muslim woman. She was alone. She wore the veil. I’ve been using StoryTelling (210 lists of Story from STS) but wrestled with which one to tell or what to say to start a conversation. Finally, I asked her whether which college she came from. I wanted to ask her what does she know about Isa but I thought it was rather awkward because this is the first time I met her. So … I never told her any story and when I came home, I read the Camel Method. I think I will use the Intro in the Camel, ask questions and release the rest to the Holy Spirit.

I am residing in Malaysia. Muslims here are deprived from choosing their own religion, and many do not know the Isa in the Injil.
    Wasalam.

7. Salam, Maria,
    Allah knows the best, but the fact you presented on behalf of the the Muslims about Isa is not correct. We as Muslims believe Isa to be the second most important prophet after Mohammad PBUH. As you know so much about Injil, you tell me, does it mention about the arrival of Mohammad? If so, please find out for me where, because the Qur’an has mentioned about Isa and his mother Mariam in many parts of the Qur’an, as it proves up here in this false story of Camel. So may God show you the right path to turn to him in the true shape of his sent religion, Islam. Aamen

8. Salam Mohamad,

You mentioned that “We Muslims believe Isa to be the 2nd most important prophet after Mohamad PBUH.” Please share with me the significances of ISA in your belief, Islam, or in the Quran.
    Thank you and peace to you.

9. Dear Sister Maria,
    I was in KL in 28th of Feb till 18th April, and I found it to be a very friendly place, but not as you described that people are deprived of choosing religion. Islam is a very friendly religion if someone wants to understand what is The will of God (Allah). You are free to approach any Muslim and ask about Isa, but before you listen to their views you have to be open minded and free of criticism. With the concept of listening, sight, and practice, these will make you the person you desire to become to know about other religions.

Now let’s come to the point you want me to shed light on, how Isa is the second biggest Prophet in Islam. In Qur’an, the word Isa is mentioned quite a number of times, where as Muhammad just once or twice. His miracles are even mentioned in Qur’an. In Qur’an the following are also described: the rights of women, how women should present themselves in front of God etc….

No woman’s name has been motioned in Qur’an, not even the mother of Mohammad, his wives’ names, or his daughters’names, but only Mariam (Mary), may God be pleased with her.

Please read this with a big heart without thinking anything negative….http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam

I can present more stuff on this topic to clear the negativity about Muslims. Let me tell you one more thing. My own wife was Christian and she reverted to Islam according to her choice after reading and understanding Qur’an with my help. There are many others as well…

There are more debates on YouTube that I can link to if you wish. If you wish, you can also ask me directly at mithoau@yahoo.com or SMS +61 406 185 310. I hope it helps, regards

Your Brother

Mohammad

10. WHEN I HAVE CAUSE, I KEEP WONDERING WHY I WAS CREATED, WHO CREATED ME AND WHAT MY END SHALL BE.

THERE ARE SO MUCH CONFUSION IN THE WORLD PLANTED BY SATAN ..

FROM ADAM AND EVE DAYS, THERE HAS BEEN CONFUSION AND THERE WILL ALWAYS BE CONFUSION. RELIGIONS ARE MULTIPLYING WITH THEIR ACCOMPANYING EVIL.
    TENSION EVERYWHERE. PEOPLE FIGHTING.

WHAT FOR? MY RELIGION IS THE RIGHT, YOURS IS WRONG, THEN SOMETIMES ANOTHER FALSE ONE ‘ECCUMENISM WHICH IMPLIES THAT ALL RELIGIONS ARE DIFFERENT WAYS OF TALKING ABOUT THE SAME GOD.

THERE IS ONE AND ONLY ONE GOD, WHICH IS THE TRUE GOD. ALL OTHERS ARE FALSE.

WHY WILL I FIGHT OR KILL FOR A GOD ,IF HE IS THAT REAL AND POWERFUL HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIGHT FOR HIMSELF .EXCEPT HE IS A BLOOD THIRSTY OR CONFUSION CREATING GOD. IN THAT CASE HE IS FALSE AND NOT WORTHY OF A WORSHIP.

THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE GOD IS THE ALMIGHTY GOD WHO LOVED THE WORLD SO MUCH AND IN OUR LOST STATE BOTHERED FOR OUR SALVATION SO MUCH THAT HE GAVE JESUS CHRIST HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON TO DIE FOR US.

HOLINESS IS THE ONLY MEDIUM TO SEE GOD►TRUE..THIS HOLINESS IS PROFESSED BY ALL RELIGIONS.

HOLINESS CAN NEVER BE ATTAINED BY ANY MAN; BUT TRULY IT IS ONLY IN JESUS CHRIST THAT ANYONE CAN ACQUIRE THE POWER [POWER!!!!] TO SIN NO MORE. PLEASE DO NOT BE CONFUSED BY MAJORITY OF CHRIST CONFESSORS WHO STILL ABIDE IN SIN .

QUITE ENORMOUS ARE THE POPULATION OF THE FALSE CONFESSORS THAT ONE ALWAYS SEE REASONS TO BELIEVE THAT ALL IS THE SAME. BUT NEVER.

JESUS WAS HERE ON EARTH, HE NEVER FOUGHT A WAR. EXCEPT BY HIS EFFECTIVE AND FUNCTIONAL SPOKEN WORD. THIS WORD WAS MORE POWERFUL THAN THE SHARPEST SWORD.

HE FREELY GAVE HIMSELF TO BE CAJOLED ,HUMILIATED, KILLED AND THEN RESURRECTED. AFTER HIS DEATH AND RESURRECTION MORE MIRACLES WERE DONE THROUGH HIS WORDS AND MENTION OF HIS NAME BY HIS DISCIPLES .UPTILL TODAY HIS BLOOD IS STILL FRESH AND DOES MIRACLES EVEN IN MY AND YOUR LIFE AND WILL REMAIN SO FOREVER..
    THE GREATEST MIRACLE WILL BE YOUR CONVERSION AND DELIVERANCE FROM SIN.

HIS GOD MUST BE THE TRUE GOD.LETS ACCEPT HIM AS OUR LORD AND PERSONAL SAVIOUR. LET’S BELIEVE IN HIS SONSHIP OF GOD .HE WAS CRUCIFIED, DIED AND RESURRECTED SO THAT YOU AND I WILL BE SAVED AND HAVE A HOLD AND STAKE IN GOD’S ETERNAL POSSESSIONS IN HEAVEN.. EVERYONE OUTSIDE JESUS HAS MISSED ETERNAL STAKE WITH GOD.

PLEASE DO NOT CONFUSE THINGS,THIS DISCUSSION DOES NOT ASSURE ANY ONE WHO STILL COMMIT SINS . ― ANY TYPE OF SIN NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL A PLACE IN GOD’S KINGDOM .FOR IT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE THAT GOD HAS NEVER SPARED ANY SINNER NO MATTER HIS ORIENTATION, HIS RELIGIOUS INCLINATION, HEIGHT OR POSITION.

NO ONE IS RIGHTEOUS .TRUE.

THAT IS, WHERE, THE PLACE OF THE SACRIFICE OF JESUS CHRIST ON THE CROSS TO WASH AWAY SIN AND THE POWER TO BE AND REMAIN RIGHTEOUS THROUGH HIS NAME BECOMES INEVITABLE.
    NOTE I SAID POWER NOT FEELING,OR IMAGINATION.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT MANY PEOPLE JUST SAY THEY BELIEVE. NO SALVATION ,NO CONFESSION ,NO REPENTANCE AND DETERMINATION/FAITH TO GO AND SIN NO MORE

IMPORTANTLY PRAYER IS REQUIRED. PRAY; “TRUE GOD SHOW ME THE RIGHT WAY TO MEET YOU AND TO PLEASE YOU”.

“”I WANT TO BE WITH YOU ETERNALLY AFTER THIS LIFE NO MATTER HOW WELL OR NOT I HAVE THINGS HERE ON EARTH”. IF YOU ARE SINCERE,VICTORY IS GRANTEED.
    PLEASE CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION.
    GOD BLESS YOU.

11. Having been engaged to a Muslim, I can tell you Muslims are the most heavily brain washed, fanatical and self righteous people of any religion in the world. Their sense of superiority is phenomenal. While they have a passion for preaching their own way, they have a true fear of hearing anything that contradicts their beliefs. Only God can lead them to open their eyes to the truth.

12. Gilbert, All caps = screaming at someone. I couldn’t read past your first sentence.

I’ve watched The Camel Method and I believe it is good. I have not witnessed with it yet as I am currently using another method to reach all the lost. But I will use The Camel if necessary.

It isn’t deceptive as some allude to. It uses the Qur’an to point the Muslim to what their own scripture says. Thankfully there is enough truth to point someone in the right direction.

13. I am responding to thoe who want to know how many times the Bible mentions Muhammad.He did his religion after Jesus but jesus did not say any general one time prophet would come after him