Ayesha’s Story: Mother of the Believers

sidebar_book

Update – This program is now available for streaming and free download from the Inside Islam archive.

What do people know about Ayesha, the youngest wife of the Prophet Muhammad? Her age is the focus of any discussion and seems responsible for the controversy around her. Many, however, do not know the extent of her influence on the history of Islam and the role she played in preserving much of what we know about the Prophet Muhammad. Ayesha was a teacher, a political leader, and a warrior.

Kamran Pasha, a Muslim Hollywood screenwriter and television producer and author of Mother of the Believers: A Novel of the Birth of Islam, will join us on our next Inside Islam radio program (July 21) to talk about Ayesha’s story. Mother of the Believers tells the story of the rise of Islam through Ayesha’s eyes. This novel brings to light the complexity of this young woman, her love for Muhammad both as a Prophet and a husband, and the pivotal role of Muslim women in the expanding Islamic community.

What do you want to know about Ayesha? Do you think she’s important and why? What does she symbolize for Muslim women? Please share your questions and comments.

11 thoughts on “Ayesha’s Story: Mother of the Believers

1. I had reservations about reading this novel because I wasn’t sure I wanted to see how this author would depict these historic and heroic figures, the companions of our beloved Prophet (saw) as well The Prophet (saw) himself. I will say after taking the plunge and buying the book, I couldn’t put it down. If anything, it only made me love Islam more, ‘Aisha (ras) more and definitely Prophet Muhammed (saw) more…

‘Aisha (ras) has always been one of my favorite women in Islam. Not only is she one of the greatest scholars of Islam, but she was human just like us. Human in the sense that she had a crazy jealous streak and she was a feisty young gal. She fought for her beliefs and she commanded respect from men because of her vast knowledge and well-spoken ways. Her memory served her well and because of her we know so much about Muhammed (saw). She helped show how Islam came to liberate and free women from the chains that previously held them down…

She was and still is 1400 years later, truly a role model for women….someone that we would want our daughters aspiring to follow…what religion can say that one of their top scholars is a woman?

Her courage and grace are forever in my heart…

2. I wish truly that the program will be able to at least shed a light on the miss understanding that non-muslim have embraced for most of the time regarding Aisyah r.a.
    For such a great woman, who inspire intellectual and freedom within the rank of muslim women even from nearly 14 centuries ago, she has been cruelly mocked and miss judged. After all she was the one woman whom the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) suggested the companions to learn from.

3. I bought the book about a week ago and like JS, I couldn’t put it down! I am about halfway through it, but I decided to hold of mainly because as I am a recent revert, it is probably better for me to have a better grasp on her through Islam before I read something that could sway me one way or the other and have it not be entirely true.

Even before reading this book I was drawn to Aisha. It was hard not to be, before reverting I had heard the tales of the age difference and the controversy surrounding it so I really wanted to understand her situation better. I hope that controversy gets addressed as I think any non-muslim who has any concept of Islam knows about this, and it would be good to get it out there. For as many negative stereotypes as there are about Islam (a big one being how “unfair” the women are treated) Aisha is one of the best examples to prove how wrong that type of thinking is. She was a powerful woman whom men and women looked up to and still look up to. She was curious, she constantly asked questions, she made mistakes and learned from them, and she was also deeply loved by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) for these things. It helps reiterate the fact that Islam is all about learning, knowledge, asking questions and seeking answers. I think that is what I love most about Aisha. She helps to encourage us to not only learn about Islam, she shows us the importance of doing so and teaches us that women in Islam are just as important as men.

4. May Allah give her all the things that Allah promised with her. and also guide us to right path….

5. Is Ayesha name? I have seen many books and I have searched in so many internet access, I found that Ayesha is a Hindu Name.

6. You are confusing Asha with Ayesha. Ayesha is an arabic name.
    Asha in Indian language namely Hindi means Hope.
    Hope your doubts are cleared.
    But due to 1000 years of Muslim Rule in India a few Hindus and Sikhs took up Muslim names too.

7. In India the current trend of Chauvinist Hindus is to lay claim to everything Muslim – eg. Muslim dresses – Kurta Pajama, Lehnga are now marketed as Hindu dresses and nowadays there is a trend to take Muslim names such as Shireen and Ayesha too.

8. all religions find roots in hinduism yours too. christ lived here for studies .just read the 100 % non contestable points by gene d matdlock.
    hey i just for knowledge keep checking around sites some portray mohammad as good some as bad now how do we get to know the truth man.i find dubious that some sites compare him to the great jesus and some call him merciless. why is mohammad tainted ? i cant understand.

9. Aisha is not a good lady in Islam. Before, Muhammad’s death Aisha was right but after his death Aisha went astray because she went to battle against Ali.