President Obama on Al-Arabiya

A while back on the Inside Islam radio series, host Jean Feraca repeated Colin Powell’s question, “What’s wrong with being Muslim?” During his campaign, Barack Obama refrained from addressing this question in relation to his own roots. Now as president, Obama is beginning to outline his administration’s efforts to reach out to the Muslim world. In a television interview on Al-Arabiya, an Arab news station, he discussed America’s next steps in the Muslim world and said:

Now, my job is to communicate the fact that the United States has a stake in the well-being of the Muslim world that the language we use has to be a language of respect. I have Muslim members of my family. I have lived in Muslim countries.

Part 2 of the interview is included below.

The interview has gotten a lot of attention both in online and in print media, signaling that the dialogue that President Obama mentions is not only important and engaging in Muslim countries but for nations around the world. Do you agree? What do you think the implications of this interview are? Is there hope for change in the Muslim world and for the war on terror? We’d like to continue the conversation here on Inside Islam. Feel free to offer your comments below or send us an email with your thoughts.

5 thoughts on “President Obama on Al-Arabiya

1. Well not muslim countries are concerned for sure but the main tensions are raising from Muslim countries.

I would like to talk about teh fact that Al Arabiya was chosen is would be seen as a message to Al – Jazeera who was defintely pro-palestinian and pro-muslims while Al-Arbiya showed a non-accepted approach to Gaza war

2. I was really happy to see the interview this morning. The symbolic importance of Obama choosing Al Arabiya for his first formal interview as President is huge, and it makes me optimistic that we’re taking a good first step towards fixing relations between the US and the Arab world.

3. @com4myst,

Interesting point… I didn’t know anything about the network Al Arabiya until now. Do you know anything else about the network?

4. Pingback: The World Responds to Obama’s Inaugural Address – Inside Islam