Guests on Reaching out to the Muslim World

Join Jean Feraca and the following guests on Here on Earth: Radio Without Borders on January 22 to discuss reaching out to the Muslim world.

Uli Schamiloglu – Chair of UW-Madison’s Middle East Studies Program and Professor of Turkic and Central Eurasian Studies in the Department of Languages and Cultures of Asia.

Abdulkader Sinno – Professor of Political Science, Indiana University, author of Organizations at War in Afghanistan and Beyond (Cornell U Press, 2008) and editor of Muslims in Western Politics (Indiana University Press, 2008).

Hady Amr – Director, Brookings Doha Center; Fellow, Foreign Policy, Saban Center for Middle East Policy.

Zeyno Baran, director of the Center for Eurasian Policy at the Hudson Institute.

Updated January 22, 2009: Click here to listen to “Reaching out to the Muslim World,” hear full pre-recorded interviews with the guests, and get additional information on the topic.

4 thoughts on “Guests on Reaching out to the Muslim World

1. As a Muslim and an American I think restructuring how our Government talk about and work with the Muslim communities both here in the USA and abroad is very important.
    Especially in how the government presents Muslims & Islam in the media. We like any other group of people whether it be religious or cultural have both good and bad representatives. Sadly in the past only the bad has made it to main stream media. Even when the newscast is on a more positive note they more often than not have negative connotations slipped into them.
    I think a Huge step is needed to connect to the good and upright Americans who also are Muslims. The doctors, lawyers, teachers & families who live here. We are a large group of quiet modest people who are not only proud to be Muslim but too are proud to be American – for truly it is a very compatible life!

2. The war on terror conflates state and non-state terrorism. What the US did in Iraq with the sanctions resulted in the death and injury of hundred of thousands of civilians, many of them children, in order to change the regime there. In Fallujah the city was terrorized to get the population to stop supporting the insurgents.
    Israel is using terror as a tactic to influence the Palestinians to stop supporting Hamas, an elected government in Gaza. If I lived in Iraq or Gaza I would consider US and Israeli actions as terrorist.
    Why the refusal to consider terror for what it is…not for what the US or media call it. It reminds me of the contra in Nicaragua as ‘freedom fighters’.
    State Terrorism is much more powerful than individual or undefined group terror.
    Why such prejudice in favor of US and Israeli interests?

3. Pingback: Posts about UW Madison as of January 25, 2009 » MyMadison

4. Thank you for this amazing and enlightening series. I wish I had caught it earlier on the air, but I will certainly do my homework and catch up. When looking at the impressive array of categories I will study, I was disappointed that the area of art–visual art, drama, dance, etc., was not included. I would love to know where to go to see art created in the primarily Muslim countries or done by Muslim artists in this country or even in this state. Thank you again. I never cease to be amazed at the marvelous programs Jean puts together.